Tuesday, August 22, 2006

*Part 6... Slept On Hip Hop In The 90's (1995)*
95 was my favorite year for hip hop. Liquid Swords, Livin' Proof, Da Shinin, Me Against The World, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx & The Infamous...all make my top 50 list. Now here is a few that are not as well known or talked about.....


Chubb Rock/O.C./Jeru The Damaja (Will Have Link Soon!)
What can I say. This is my theme song!!! Every verse is hot. This is a dope track that takes me back to the summer of '95. Three dope verses, each one better than the last, with Jeru absolutely killing this posse cut with some of the best lyrics that no one has ever heard over one of Premos finest beats...a TRUE Crooklyn Classic!!!

The Nonce - World Ultimate
"I used to sell...Mixtapes...but now im an emcee" A lot like Shades of Culture this one is all about the lyrics and the beats. It features dope flows and mad joints. They have pretty cool styles and the beats are First class stuff. I heard a rumor that he killed himself! Anyone know if this is true?

Nine - Nine Lives
Peel Nigga Peel..GRIMEY SHIT!! I love the grime and this album has it all. I still bump this album at least once a week...Ova Confident is one of my favorite get hype jams ever. Anyone know what ever happened to Nine?

Mic Geronimo - The Natural
Mic has that Gritty NY ghetto feel to it, if you are a fan of NY Hiphop you will love this. Classic Queens shit with guest apperences by O.C., Royal Flush, & The Lost Boyz. Real fresh lyrics and totally on top production!

Aceyalone - All Balls Don't Bounce
Aceyalone proves he is a lyrical wizard, and when it comes to rapid fire delivery and flippin' phrases he can't be touched. The whole album has crisp clean production so if you listen to Hip Hop and love it then you should give this one a shot. You will not regret it.

BG Knocc Out & Dresta - Real Brothers
This is an incredible West Coast album. The lyrics and flow of b.g. knocc out & dresta are amazing. Every song has a theme, and the construction of the album in terms of mood and theme flows perfectly from beginning to end. They assembled a solid production team...with the likes of Charlie B, Vic C, Rhythm D and Dr Jam & madness 4 real. Classic album.

Tha Alkaholiks - Coast II Coast
Another sophomore effort that is better than the debut. Personal favorite is "The Next Level". Produced by Easy Moe Bee this track has one of the funkiest basslines I've ever heard. (Even if it's a keyboard.)"DAMNN!! is also a great jam. Tash's flow is one of my favorites. I love the drunk rhymes!

Crooklyn's Request list....

15 Comments:

Blogger Tired-N-Broke said...

yeah man I love Return Of The Crooklyn Dodgers, Jeru's verse is unparalled....

good shit man

T&B

6:51 PM  
Blogger Travis said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Travis said...

Oh shit, yeah the word is Nine is dropping an album later this year on Matic records and guesting on the upcoming Juggaknots album

amalgamdigital.com

7:10 PM  
Blogger Travis said...

You killing it man, and this one, you got an album I don't have, that BG Knocc Out. Don't know why I never checked, but I'll have to listen to it now.

Nine and Tha Liks are both classics in my book. Kick myself in the ass for ever losing that Nine, that shit is spendy now.

I got both Milk (a personal favorite of mine) and that Jemini, I'll hook it up thursday, I SWEAR!!!

9:48 PM  
Blogger Crooklyn said...

Good Looks Travis!

10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanted to say this is a dope site and thanks for the downloads. I do have the Milk EP but it looks like its already coming your way.

Yusef from the Nonce was found face down in some lake I believe. I don't know if he killed himself but he is dead.

4:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that Yusef died in a car crash.
Great blog btw....

7:18 AM  
Blogger Crooklyn said...

Tanks For the good words Rob & Jas!!!

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DJ Shadow "Why Hip Hop Sucks in 96"


With a list this tight for 95, I'm wondering what you're going to post to counter Shadow's song title.

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DJ Shadow "Why Hip Hop Sucks in 96"


With a list this tight for 95, I'm wondering what you're going to post to counter Shadow's song title.

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no doubt nine is one of the most underrated emcee ever. ninez lives and cloud ninez are both classics which are on constant rotation with me.hope the new album is out soon.

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whatcha want mad beats for my rhymes whatcha want mad clips for my nice good looking the natural by mic geronimo is amazing anyone who does not have this album is crazy and people thought ja and dmx were new when there first solos came out na they both make guest apperences on this album i believe jay-z is on it to but could be wrong

10:52 PM  
Blogger Keny said...

This blog is sik. Nocturnal by Heltah Skeltah is one of my favorite albums of 1996. Them niggaz got saliva. 4 real hip hop aint nothing now but we gotta live wit it.

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

all those albums are hot, nine livez was a underrated album,rob lewis did his thing,dark and grimy, kind iof remind me of dmx, but more calmer, that return of the crooklyn dodgers joint is fire one of the best primo produced songs,the nonce album is a very very good album, the lyrics and especially the production,very slept on,the natural to me is his best album in his whole catalog,the album is dark and gritty, like a dark cold night in the streets of nyc with no lightpost,the production is what really brings me to my attention and his delivery,his second album was garbage,the whole album is hot without skipping a track, i just wish cash money click came out with an album because that get tha fortune and 4 my click single is the shit,and i give mad props to irv gotti for producion some hot joints, aceyalones album is on a league on its own, the album has a dark epic mysterious feel to it,its different and the beats are very different, thats what makes it unique,and his lyrics are bananas,the real brothers album is mad gangsta,too bad since eazy e died their career died as well to,and this album by the alkaholiks(one of the best hip hop groups of the west coast) is mad tough,the production is on point, and i think xzibit was better back in the 90's, he was more hip hop, and his at the speed of life album is the shit, this was when he was an mc, now he's a mechanic(lmao),likwidation was horrible, but 21 and over and this album was their best in their catalog. keep up the good work crooks.

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Nonce ain't dead . They will realease a new album this year.

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Free Counter eXTReMe Tracker