Saturday, August 19, 2006

* Part 4... Slept on hip hop in the 90's (1993) *




Da King & I - Contemporary Jeep Music
Password: na4alnik
Undoubtedly one of the top 10 albums to come out in one of the best years for hiphop. Contemporary Jeep music is a criminally slept on release. It makes me sad when I go to Tower Records and see this CD in the 99 cent bins, like they was some seaweed that washed up on shore. These guys are the realest!!!! Check it.

Trendz of Culture - Trendz
Trendz of Culture is one of those (MANY!) groups that popped up during the '93-95 explosion of Hip-Hop, dropped a phat debut album - then disappeared...never to be heard from again. The only time you hear of them nowadays is from serious Hip-Hop heads who try to let people know that THERE IS STILL LOTS OF AMAZING HIP-HOP OUT THERE FOR YOU TO UNCOVER!!!

Rumpletilskinz - What Is a Rumpletilskin?
Password: na4alnik
Never heard of these guys? You may recognize them as 4 of the 13 MC's on the L.O.N.S posse-cut, "Spontaneous." This crew bares a striking, but grittier resembalance to the Leaders of the New School. Pure gritty, early 90's NY, so any fan of that will appreciate this.

Original Flavor - Beyond Flavor
This album is one of the first of many Damon Dash hits and it getsno recognition. The album is a fresh look on hip-hop not the bling-bling that accompanies many a Damon Dash record. If you don't have it you need to get it. This album has Jay-Z in one of his first featured roles.

Akinyele - Vagina Diner
It's an unpopular opinion but, production wise, i think this is the best album Large Professor has been heavily involved in. Not to dicscredit "breaking atoms" by Main Source but this is just more complete, has a better flow and contains my favorite Xtra P beat in the hypnotic groove of "outta state".

Funkdoobiest - Which Doobie U B?
This is one of the truly great rap CDs made. Funkdoobiest mixes sweet loops from the fifties hit Tutti-Frutti and a toilet flushing, which shows thier versatility.
Mugg's being the number one Producer/DJ, creates another masterpiece of beats one right after another. This album is not a "club" album, but this is DJ Muggs in his prime.

Hoodratz - Sneeke Muthafukaz
Password: na4alnik
I love it! its hardcore underground rap from the `93 - rappers screamin like onyx and m.o.p. to some deep funky beats that keep your heads boppin. All tracks are superb...grab this if you love the grime!

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

PROPS FOR PUTTING THIS CLASSIC SHIT ON HERE!
and with da king and i video you put up they mention L.O.D. who raps in that besides keith murray?

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WORD on that King & I... I've had it for a bit now, but I'm happy to see it available for the masses... That track "Tears" is definately the album highlight!!! Peace.

3:14 AM  
Blogger Crooklyn said...

Dog...im not sure Da King & I was in L.O.D.....I'll have to check on that!

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Crooklyn said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Crooklyn said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Crooklyn said...

Im only 23 but my brother force feed me PRT & Two Kings in a Cipher and every other 90's hip hop gem...im not claimin to be #1 guru...but i know my shit son! I put alot of time into most of these reviews & hookin up the Downloads. ..Not tryin to fake the front...and i don't really have to defend my hip hop knowledge to anyone...PEACE

5:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool. As long as you took the time to reply, ima take your word for it.

I guess what really set me off was when you said Jodeci one of the top 10 slept on hiphop crews of all time. Now that just hurt.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Crooklyn said...

Jodeci? lol...i don't think i ever said anything bout Jodeci! They are one of my all time favorite 90's R&B groups no doubt...but i neversaid anything on my blog bout them

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know man. I remember you singin' "You got me Feenin'" over the phone to me when you was trying to call my sister.

Man that was embarassing.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Crooklyn said...

LMAO.....naw son....u got it wrong... I was rappin "face down ass up" acapella style. Her favorite song!

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn. That hurts.

Sure it wasn't "I ain't to proud to beg" ?

12:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn. That hurts.

Sure it wasn't "I ain't to proud to beg" ?

12:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this absolutely illl stuff man, but unfortunately i can't dl msot of it as I cant dl off rapidshare for some reason. pleas up using another site e.g. sendspace.

dont stop this though, dope site

peace dun

one

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please re-up that Rumpletilskinz LP! I've been looking for that for months!

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Free Counter eXTReMe Tracker